The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation.
Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food secure future.
To find out more about IITA, visit our websites at http://www.iita.org.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) seeks to recruit a Driver under the Black Soldier Fly (BSF) Project.
The Driver will provide support to project staff in implementation activities across the country.
- Drive vehicles within and outside Ghana to convey project staff, collaborators and visitors.
- Drive researchers to the field on research trips
- Help with field activities including administration of questionnaire and on-farm data collection
- Record trip details in the vehicle logbook.
- Liaise with the administration to ensure that vehicle documents (local and international) are valid and up to date.
- Carry out routine vehicle maintenance checks
- Carry out vehicle cleaning and ensure adequate kitting (tools, medical box, and accessories)
- Liaise with the administration to ensure prompt servicing of the vehicle as at when due.
- Ensure courteous and prompt attention to passengers’ needs while being conveyed.
- Ensure the safety of vehicle and passengers’ property
- Assist with office administration duties while not on an official trip
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Duty Station: Accra, with fieldwork travels to project sites across Ghana
Required Skills or Experience
- Minimum of SSCE/WASSCE or equivalent with valid professional drivers’ license (Class ‘C’). Technical knowledge in Auto mechanics /electricals will be an added advantage.
- At least five (5) years corporate driving in a similar institution
- Be conversant with Ghanaian roads
- Ability to drive long-distance with good vision
- Be mentally alert and physically fit
- Be able to work under pressure and be ready to work on weekends where necessary.
- Demonstrate ability to speak more than one Ghanaian language
- Must be able to assist in the collection of field data with little supervision
HOW TO APPLY
Applications: Applications must include a cover letter, which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae (5 pages maximum), names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/her present or former place of work.
Applications should be submitted by EMAIL ONLY to:
The Station Administrator, IITA-Ghana, firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: January 22, 2022.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Terms of appointment: This is Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position. The initial appointment is for one year with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding.